Skip to main content

Special Agent Oso Cake

When Mr T mentioned that one of his vendor reps wanted me to make a cake for his son's first birthday I had no idea who Special Agent Oso was.  Thankfully Miss E was able to educate me.

I had two cakes to do this weekend and both were for boys named Liam.  I started baking early Saturday morning.  Essentially I had 4 cakes to make.  Clearly, I wasn't thinking when I was calculating the recipes because in my mind they were all square cakes but in reality they were round.  What does this mean?  You don't need as much batter in the cake pans.  Something I forgot about so all of my cakes are VERY tall.

At about 3:30 I realised that I wouldn't have enough fondant to cover all the cakes, especially with their extra height.  The store where I get my fondant closes at 4pm on Saturdays and is about 20 minutes in good traffic.  Thanks to Mr T and his need for speed, my hero, was able to get me my 10lb bucket of fondant.  He saved the day.

For this Liam's birthday cake his parents ordered a smash cake too.  Liam can't have gluten so I made a flourless chocolate cake.  It is a really good cake that is quite dense and very rich.  I don't have a lot of time to try gluten free recipes especially ones that call for specialty ingredients that are easily available so I stick to chocolate recipes that I know are good.


The smash cake was a 6" one layer flourless chocolate cake.  I did Special Agent Oso's head as the decoration.


For the main cake it was a two tiered vanilla with chocolate mousse filling.  The bottom tier was 8" and the top 6".  The bottom tier I decorated in blue paw prints that you can sort of see.  On the top with stars of various sizes.  For the toppers, the "1" I cut out 2 number ones in fondant and set a tooth pick between the two layers.  I printed off a picture of Special Agent Oso and trimmed it to make it a topper.  For me personally, I'd rather do this than to try and make a 3D Oso out of fondant.  If it doesn't look exactly like the character it just doesn't look right to me.  Plus, it's a lot of time and effort that I avoid to save me and my client.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Little Pony Pull Apart Cupcake Cake

For this "cake" I made two dozen vanilla cupcakes and arranged them on the cake board in the shape of the rainbow and clouds.  To make sure the cupcakes didn't move I added a dab of icing on the bottom of each cupcake. It's not that often that I get to dye icing, or six different colours at once.  You can get a really good bicep workout, Miss E was kind enough to lend her figurines as models for the picture.  The clouds piped out perfectly.  The rainbow was a little more difficult.  Next time I would put a base coat on the cupcakes to help keep the top coat more level and easier to pipe over.

Carrot Cake for July Birthdays

To celebrate my dad and brother's birthdays this year we went up to my parents' trailer to have a campfire dinner; hotdogs over the fire with a side of corn on the cob.  So good! To finish off the celebration I made one of the family favourites, carrot cake with cream cheese icing.    This was a 3 layer six inch cake with lots of cream cheese icing.  Hopefully, it was enough for Geoff this time.  

60th Jack Daniels Birthday Cake

 These types of cakes are so much fun to do.  Over the top goodness!  Especially, when the original plan  was to use airplane size bottles of Jack Daniel's instead of one 300mL bottle.  When Mr T went to the LCBO he was told that they longer sell them, at least as this location, due to high theft.  The next smallest size available was the 300mL bottle; though I doubt the birthday boy was disappointed! This was a 3 layer chocolate 8" cake with Bailey's buttercream topped off with Hershey pieces, mini chocolate chip cookies, Ferrero Rocher and Whoppers sitting on top of the chocolate ganache.