Skip to main content

Death Star Birthday!

Lately my friends and co-workers have been keeping me quite busy with orders, My little hobby has turned into so much more than I ever expected.  Our small galley kitchen is exploding with baking supplies.  Display nooks that had toys now have various cake stands in them. I've taken over some shelves, okay most of the shelves, in one of the hall closets with trays, boxes and cake pans.   Recently, after 10 years of condo living we discovered that our balcony is a excellent extra fridge. On the 20th floor you don't have to worry about animals running off with the food.  Come the warmer weather I don't know what we're going to do.  Mr. T was lamenting that we are going to need another fridge.  Yikes!  It's time to do some serious organizing.

Another discovery, is our convenience store that we have in the building. I've never appreciated it before.  In the last few weeks I have sent Mr. T and Miss E down to get eggs, sugar, milk, etc. all ingredients that I realised I needed half way through baking.  It may cost us a few more pennies, but it saves a lot on travel time and gas, which makes it totally worth it.

I love my hobby and I especially love being able to get creative.  Hopefully, I will ensure to keep at it with a pace that is manageable and learn to slow down when I need to. I definitely need to get organised on booking orders and work on a pricing chart to keep everything manageable.   It does keep me busy and out of mischief though.  Ha!

When someone asks me to make a cake, I still automatically worry that I'm not going to be able to do what they ask.  That it's going to be out of my comfort zone.  My friends and co-workers are certainly good at taking me out of my comfort zone.  However, once I've Googled for a bit and form my plan, I'm in a much better state.  So, when I was asked to do a cake with the Death Star, at first I panicked, especially given that I had no idea what the Death Star was.  Off to Google I went...

I made a two layer vanilla cake with red (Michael's favourite colour) buttercream filling and icing. Then I covered in black fondant. I had just enough to cover the cake.  Phew, as they don't sell fondant at the convenience store!  Gave it a nice dusting of shimmer dust.  Miss E helped me punch out the little stars that dot the cake.  For the Death Star I used the soccer ball pan to bake the cake, covered it in grey fondant.  Then I took a toothpick to draw on the design.  I just came back from Google again since I have no idea what the little indentation thingy was called...Superlaser Focus Lens!  I added a green straw as the laser beam. 

Comments

  1. So incredible and delicious! Your talent keeps blowing my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your experience sounds so familiar - my hobby started taking over the house & now I'm trying to turn it into a business. Google is invaluable as a tool (how did people survive before it?). You've done a great job on this cake; I bet it was a real hit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone loved this cake!! Especially the birthday boy. Thanks so much!! He's looking forward to eating the Death Star portion tonight :)

    (There were many compliments on the flavour as well as the design, btw.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Little Pony Pull Apart Cupcake Cake

For this "cake" I made two dozen vanilla cupcakes and arranged them on the cake board in the shape of the rainbow and clouds.  To make sure the cupcakes didn't move I added a dab of icing on the bottom of each cupcake. It's not that often that I get to dye icing, or six different colours at once.  You can get a really good bicep workout, Miss E was kind enough to lend her figurines as models for the picture.  The clouds piped out perfectly.  The rainbow was a little more difficult.  Next time I would put a base coat on the cupcakes to help keep the top coat more level and easier to pipe over.

Carrot Cake for July Birthdays

To celebrate my dad and brother's birthdays this year we went up to my parents' trailer to have a campfire dinner; hotdogs over the fire with a side of corn on the cob.  So good! To finish off the celebration I made one of the family favourites, carrot cake with cream cheese icing.    This was a 3 layer six inch cake with lots of cream cheese icing.  Hopefully, it was enough for Geoff this time.  

60th Jack Daniels Birthday Cake

 These types of cakes are so much fun to do.  Over the top goodness!  Especially, when the original plan  was to use airplane size bottles of Jack Daniel's instead of one 300mL bottle.  When Mr T went to the LCBO he was told that they longer sell them, at least as this location, due to high theft.  The next smallest size available was the 300mL bottle; though I doubt the birthday boy was disappointed! This was a 3 layer chocolate 8" cake with Bailey's buttercream topped off with Hershey pieces, mini chocolate chip cookies, Ferrero Rocher and Whoppers sitting on top of the chocolate ganache.