Skip to main content

Simpson's Doughnut Cake

A while ago I bought the doughnut silicon cake pan set from Avon.  I knew for sure that I would make a Simpson's Doughnut cake for Mr. T's next birthday. Miss E was quite excited about the idea too and wanted to keep it a surprise for him.  He did know about but was playing along until Miss E told him anyway.  "Secrets are for telling." as she tells me.

 I baked the cake yesterday evening, when it came time to releasing the cake from the pans it was a big mess.  I assumed that I didn't need to grease the silicon pans, WRONG!  Half the cake was left in the pan.  Reluctantly I had to make another one.  I begged Mr. T to go out and get more eggs and butter.  Fortunately our convenience store was just closing and he was able to sneak in to buy the ingredients without having to leave the building.  Phew!

The cake was made from the Perfect Chocolate cake recipe (half recipe).  Filling was the icing from same recipe.  The cake was covered in a peanut butter cream icing to give it the same colouring as the Simpson doughnut.  Pink fondant for the doughnut icing with fondant sprinkles.  It was Miss E's idea for it to say Happy Birthday Timbits.  I was a tad anal about how the "sprinkles" were to go on so she gave up helping me on that fairly quickly.  Instead I let her go crazy with the metallic dragees on the base board, which hopefully made up for it.


 We went to the Lone Star for a late lunch with Mr. T's parents to celebrate his birthday.  When they brought out the cake they had him put on this very stylin' hat.




















Lately, it's been pretty rare that I get to enjoy the fruits of my labour and more importantly get a picture of what the cake looks like once you cut into it.  It was quite delicious if I do say so myself.  The peanut butter and chocolate combination never fails!

Comments

  1. Wowza! That looks fabulous!!
    Sorry about the initial sticking problem. I never thought to mention it to a cake pro (or maybe I was embarrassed to admit it) but I made that same mistake with my first try in that pan :( Actually kinda glad to know it wasn't just me

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Little Pony Pull Apart Cupcake Cake

For this "cake" I made two dozen vanilla cupcakes and arranged them on the cake board in the shape of the rainbow and clouds.  To make sure the cupcakes didn't move I added a dab of icing on the bottom of each cupcake. It's not that often that I get to dye icing, or six different colours at once.  You can get a really good bicep workout, Miss E was kind enough to lend her figurines as models for the picture.  The clouds piped out perfectly.  The rainbow was a little more difficult.  Next time I would put a base coat on the cupcakes to help keep the top coat more level and easier to pipe over.

Carrot Cake for July Birthdays

To celebrate my dad and brother's birthdays this year we went up to my parents' trailer to have a campfire dinner; hotdogs over the fire with a side of corn on the cob.  So good! To finish off the celebration I made one of the family favourites, carrot cake with cream cheese icing.    This was a 3 layer six inch cake with lots of cream cheese icing.  Hopefully, it was enough for Geoff this time.  

60th Jack Daniels Birthday Cake

 These types of cakes are so much fun to do.  Over the top goodness!  Especially, when the original plan  was to use airplane size bottles of Jack Daniel's instead of one 300mL bottle.  When Mr T went to the LCBO he was told that they longer sell them, at least as this location, due to high theft.  The next smallest size available was the 300mL bottle; though I doubt the birthday boy was disappointed! This was a 3 layer chocolate 8" cake with Bailey's buttercream topped off with Hershey pieces, mini chocolate chip cookies, Ferrero Rocher and Whoppers sitting on top of the chocolate ganache.