Skip to main content

50th Anniversary

Every year for the August long weekend it has been my family's tradition to camp at the Schamerhorn's cottage, now home along with several other families from my church. The shore of Lake Ontario on their property would be lined with tents, tent trailers and RVs.  We would spend hours swimming in amongst the waves; making friendship bracelets; playing Monopoly, Stock Ticker, Titantic and most memorable, Big Bucks.  Every night there would be a campfire with marshmallows, hobo pies and lots of mosquitos!  Sunday morning all the campers would fill the very small Cressy United Church.  Following church was a big potluck lunch.  There was and still always extra visitors on this day.

My summer would not be complete without a visit to Indian Point (about 20 minutes east of Picton).  While Mr. T and I usually come up for the Sunday Miss E has been spending this weekend with my parents camping.  I love that it is a 3rd generation tradition.

This annual tradition was extra special this year as the Schamerhorns celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary.  Normally, I bring chili for the lunch so we can use the leftovers for chili dogs at dinner.  Campfire hotdogs are the best!!  However, this year I brought the celebration cake.


The cake itself was two 9" x 13" two layer cakes to make one 13" x 18".  One cake was chocolate with chocolate filling and the other was cookies and cream with vanilla buttercream filling. Then covered in white fondant.  I based my design from this image I saw in my Google travels.  


It took a lot more flowers to fill in the 5 and 0 than I anticipated but I love the look of it.  I added some different coloured dragees to fill in some of the spaces.  The letters and some of the flowers I painted with some gold shimmer dust.


Each corner was decorated with some bling as well.  Here I was trying to get the corners to look perfect then remember I was covering them with flowers anyway.  So much easier!  Not sure why I don't do that more often.


 The happy couple!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Little Pony Pull Apart Cupcake Cake

For this "cake" I made two dozen vanilla cupcakes and arranged them on the cake board in the shape of the rainbow and clouds.  To make sure the cupcakes didn't move I added a dab of icing on the bottom of each cupcake. It's not that often that I get to dye icing, or six different colours at once.  You can get a really good bicep workout, Miss E was kind enough to lend her figurines as models for the picture.  The clouds piped out perfectly.  The rainbow was a little more difficult.  Next time I would put a base coat on the cupcakes to help keep the top coat more level and easier to pipe over.

Carrot Cake for July Birthdays

To celebrate my dad and brother's birthdays this year we went up to my parents' trailer to have a campfire dinner; hotdogs over the fire with a side of corn on the cob.  So good! To finish off the celebration I made one of the family favourites, carrot cake with cream cheese icing.    This was a 3 layer six inch cake with lots of cream cheese icing.  Hopefully, it was enough for Geoff this time.  

60th Jack Daniels Birthday Cake

 These types of cakes are so much fun to do.  Over the top goodness!  Especially, when the original plan  was to use airplane size bottles of Jack Daniel's instead of one 300mL bottle.  When Mr T went to the LCBO he was told that they longer sell them, at least as this location, due to high theft.  The next smallest size available was the 300mL bottle; though I doubt the birthday boy was disappointed! This was a 3 layer chocolate 8" cake with Bailey's buttercream topped off with Hershey pieces, mini chocolate chip cookies, Ferrero Rocher and Whoppers sitting on top of the chocolate ganache.