Skip to main content

Spring Cupcakes

We had a charity bake sale last week at work and I donated a dozen cupcakes.  I was planning on my making chocolate cupcakes with chocolate icing but then I thought since it was the 2nd day of Spring supposedly I would do something along that theme.


I went with vanilla cupcakes with an Oreo in the bottom because to me plain vanilla is just boring.  Of course I'm making these decisions in the evening on the eve of the sale.  I discovered I had 15 Oreo cookies, which was great.  I needed 12 for the bake sale and I could use the remaining in extra cupcakes for bribery at work. :)  At 10pm when I decided to get down to business I went to the Oreos and saw that some were missing; 4 to be exact which left me with 11!  Grr!  I went to Mr. T and casually said "Please tell me that you didn't eat the Oreos that I was using for the cupcakes."  A look of horror spread across his face and then resignation.  However, without hesitation he said"I'll be going to buy some more now."  In a perfect world I would have made this discovery 20 minutes before when the convenience store in our building was still open instead of actually having to take the car out to find a store that was open.  Oh well, lesson learned; stop procrastinating the task by 9:45pm.

For the icing I made butter cream and dyed it green.  I used the Wilton grass tip to make the grass.  While I was waiting for Mr. T and the Oreos I actually made good use of my time and cut out the flowers and centres from fondant.  Before I added the grass effect I did add a crumb coat of icing first to help make the "grass" look fuller.

I am always on the look out for different trays or cake stands to display my endeavours.  A few weeks ago I was out with my friend Hannah and we went to this very cool vintage shop in Bowmanville, Country Chic.  I bought this sweet serving dish there.  We had fun looking around and chatting with the owner who was part of Million Dollar Neighbourhood Season 2 on Oprah's OWN network.  There was a lot cool items in the store.  I'm still thinking about a few items that I hope might still be there when I go back... :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Little Pony Pull Apart Cupcake Cake

For this "cake" I made two dozen vanilla cupcakes and arranged them on the cake board in the shape of the rainbow and clouds.  To make sure the cupcakes didn't move I added a dab of icing on the bottom of each cupcake. It's not that often that I get to dye icing, or six different colours at once.  You can get a really good bicep workout, Miss E was kind enough to lend her figurines as models for the picture.  The clouds piped out perfectly.  The rainbow was a little more difficult.  Next time I would put a base coat on the cupcakes to help keep the top coat more level and easier to pipe over.

Carrot Cake for July Birthdays

To celebrate my dad and brother's birthdays this year we went up to my parents' trailer to have a campfire dinner; hotdogs over the fire with a side of corn on the cob.  So good! To finish off the celebration I made one of the family favourites, carrot cake with cream cheese icing.    This was a 3 layer six inch cake with lots of cream cheese icing.  Hopefully, it was enough for Geoff this time.  

60th Jack Daniels Birthday Cake

 These types of cakes are so much fun to do.  Over the top goodness!  Especially, when the original plan  was to use airplane size bottles of Jack Daniel's instead of one 300mL bottle.  When Mr T went to the LCBO he was told that they longer sell them, at least as this location, due to high theft.  The next smallest size available was the 300mL bottle; though I doubt the birthday boy was disappointed! This was a 3 layer chocolate 8" cake with Bailey's buttercream topped off with Hershey pieces, mini chocolate chip cookies, Ferrero Rocher and Whoppers sitting on top of the chocolate ganache.