Skip to main content

Mr. T's Dr. Pepper Birthday Cake

Mr. T asked for something different for his birthday this year.  Something different from the Perfect Chocolate Cake.  *GASP*  This is the cake that our whole relationship is based upon.  The first time I made this cake for him nearly sixteen years ago that sealed the deal for him.  He was never letting me go.  So, when he asked for something different I was rather shocked.  Mr. T doesn't ask for much, so I got over it pretty quickly and set out looking for something new and different.

Dr Pepper is his favourite pop and I stumbled upon lots of recipes for the cake and icing.  I mixed up various different ones to get a combination that I thought worked best and for ingredients that I had on hand.


I made a lot of icing.  I reduced 6 cups of Dr Pepper to about 1/3 of a cup even.  I was just shy of being able to decorate the entire top of the cake with the "kisses".  If we weren't already late I would have pulled it off and started again.


As you can see he was happy with the cake and with the angle I took the shot at you don't see that the entire top isn't covered.  All in all, it was good to try something different, to kick it up a notch.

Here's my adaptation recipe of what I found on the web.  I can't find the link that I used for the cake.  The icing is from The Pioneer Woman Cooks - A Year of Holidays cookbook.

Dr. Pepper Texas Chocolate Cake

Cake:
2 cups  sifted flour
1 cup   sugar
1 cup  dark brown sugar
1 cup  unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ½ t    baking soda
1 cup  Dr. Pepper
½ cup chocolate chips
2          eggs
1 cup  buttermilk
1 cup  vegetable oil
1 ½ t    vanilla

Icing:
4 cups    Dr. Pepper
1.5 cup  butter, softened
2 ½ cup icing sugar
1 tsp       vanilla
·
         Preheat the oven to 350° F. Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans.
·         Sift together the flour, sugar, brown sugar, cocoa, and baking soda into a bowl and set aside.
·         Pour the Dr. Pepper into a small saucepan and add the chocolate chips. Heat on low, stirring often, until the chips are just melted. Pull off the heat and set aside.
·         Combine the eggs, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla in a mixer bowl and mix on medium speed until combined, about 2 minutes. With the mixer running, slowly pour in the Dr. Pepper-chocolate mixture and continue beating until combined, about 1 minute.
·         Drop the mixer speed back to low and gradually add the dry ingredients. Pop the speed back up to medium and beat 2 minutes more.
·         Divide the batter between the 2 pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick poked into the center comes out clean. Cool the layers in the pans for 10 minutes.
·      Boil 4 cups of Dr. Pepper in a small saucepan over medium heat until it has reduced to about 1/2 cup. 20 to 25 minutes. (I actually had my temp on medium high and reduced the soda for about 1 hour) Set aside to cool completely.
·      Add butter to mixer and then add in icing sugar, and vanilla.
·      Mix on medium high speed for 3-5 minutes, scraping bowl as needed.

·      With mixer on low, add in Dr. Pepper reduction and blend completely. Spread over cooled cake.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Little Pony Pull Apart Cupcake Cake

For this "cake" I made two dozen vanilla cupcakes and arranged them on the cake board in the shape of the rainbow and clouds.  To make sure the cupcakes didn't move I added a dab of icing on the bottom of each cupcake. It's not that often that I get to dye icing, or six different colours at once.  You can get a really good bicep workout, Miss E was kind enough to lend her figurines as models for the picture.  The clouds piped out perfectly.  The rainbow was a little more difficult.  Next time I would put a base coat on the cupcakes to help keep the top coat more level and easier to pipe over.

Carrot Cake for July Birthdays

To celebrate my dad and brother's birthdays this year we went up to my parents' trailer to have a campfire dinner; hotdogs over the fire with a side of corn on the cob.  So good! To finish off the celebration I made one of the family favourites, carrot cake with cream cheese icing.    This was a 3 layer six inch cake with lots of cream cheese icing.  Hopefully, it was enough for Geoff this time.  

60th Jack Daniels Birthday Cake

 These types of cakes are so much fun to do.  Over the top goodness!  Especially, when the original plan  was to use airplane size bottles of Jack Daniel's instead of one 300mL bottle.  When Mr T went to the LCBO he was told that they longer sell them, at least as this location, due to high theft.  The next smallest size available was the 300mL bottle; though I doubt the birthday boy was disappointed! This was a 3 layer chocolate 8" cake with Bailey's buttercream topped off with Hershey pieces, mini chocolate chip cookies, Ferrero Rocher and Whoppers sitting on top of the chocolate ganache.