Skip to main content

Superhero Cake for Jaxson

Another special boy turned 4 last month and I was so happy that I was asked to make his cake.  Especially a superhero cake.  I had just purchased some cutters that would be perfect for the cake.  Etsy is an amazing site to shop on.

This three tiered (8, 6, and 4 inch) was all vanilla which I didn't start until almost 10pm the night before.  Mr. T stayed up until almost 2am keeping me company.  At about 3am is when I started to put everything together.  It was awesome to see it come together.  I went to sleep at 4am extremely pleased with the outcome.

The decorating is based on a picture that Meghan had sent me.  

For the Hulk's fist, this was one of the cutters I bought.  I cut out two fists to join them together with toothpicks in between so that I could stick it on the top of the cake.  I made this first, and then with the impression mat pressed it into the cut out to get all the details.  I left this to harden over night.

For Spiderman, with a black edible marker I drew on the spiderweb.  The spider cutter was too think to get the spider out of fondant, especially with the black fondant being very wet.  After one fail, I decided to roll out the fondant and then pressed the cutter into it but not all the way through.  I let it sit for about half an hour to dry out.  Then I went at it with a surgical knife to trim off all the excess.  It worked amazing.  I love the spider!

For Superman, I added his red cape off to the right.  The superman cutter is a two part process. One for the yellow background and one for the red S symbol.

For Batman, he got his black cape to the left.  The batman cutter is a two part process as well.

The cutters made all the difference to me.  I love how everything turned out.

Jaxson came with is parents to pick up his cake on Sunday morning.  His exact words after seeing it were, "I want that."  I was thrilled.

I went for a nice nap afterward!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Shower Cake

One of the teams on my floor had me make a cake for one of their co-workers going on off on mat leave earlier this month.  She doesn't know the sex of the baby so I made it as neutral as possible.  This was an 8" two layer chocolate cake.  I just used some circle cutters to make the polka dots and the lettering.


The unofficial shot of the cake I caught Willow trying to get at the cake. She got pretty close before I shooed her away.

Owl in Tree for Lindsay

Shocking that inspiration for this cake came from Pinterest which in turn came from the blog the Bitten Word which in turn came from the November 2011 issue of Martha Stewart Living.  I'm sure that in the baking world you could play Six Degrees of Martha Stewart no problem.  One day I might actually make this cake, but the only part of this recipe I used was the caramel, and it was only half the recipe. I used the Perfect Chocolate Cake recipe for the cake.  You really can't go wrong with this recipe and I have no desire to deviate.


This is part II of Lindsay's birthday celebration.  She is an amazing friend, well, the best friend a girl could ask for, so naturally she deserves the best cake.  I knew that chocolate and caramel would be a winning combination for her.  Then for the decorating I didn't want to cover it in fondant as I still think covering this icing is a crime against nature!  On the other hand I find decorating chocolate a challenge.  Fortunately I found…

Superhero Cake for Keaton

Keaton's request this year was for a superhero cake.  I am so glad I bought the superhero cutters from Etsy.  They have been a great investment.  They save me so much time for decorating.


This was a two layer 10" chocolate layer cake with chocolate filling.  To cover seems between the different colours for the background I added the black stripes and some stars.  Orange is Keaton's favourite colour, so I couldn't leave it out and added it in with the sentiment.

Putting the cake together took a little longer than I expected, so we were a half an hour late to the party.  I had the best intentions to be on time for a change.  Oh well!