Skip to main content

45th Wedding Anniversary Surprise

In August my in-laws will be celebrating their 45th wedding anniversary.  Also known as the sapphire anniversary, my birth stone and also my favourite.  We celebrated early so that Miss E could be there as she will be away at camp for their actual anniversary.


It was an awesome surprise party.  I think they were actually surprised too!  We had the party in our party room.  We invited them over under the guise that we were having a family picture taken and the party room (newly renovated) was a perfect spot to do it.  However, when the security guard asked who they were visiting, they gave him our suite number, he innocently asked if they were going to the 45th wedding anniversary party.  Ha!  Why yes they were.  Too funny.  


We had Krumbs Breadery cater the savoury dishes for the party.  We had meat, cheese, and pickle trays with fresh buns.  A lovely green salad with lots of yummy surprises as one guest said and a delicious pasta salad.  It was so nice not to have to that work.  Thank you Krumbs!

For the dessert, I went with my go to cupcake line up.  For this party it was a smaller crowd so I needed a dozen of each flavour (chocolate, vanilla, carrot and lemon) in regular and mini sizes. We did have a tray of fruit on the table too that was largely ignored.  Ha!

I could not have done all this baking without Mr. T.  He stepped it up big time.  While I was dealing with the decorations for the cupcakes and cake for this party and the next one Mr. T was my baker.  I would call out each step to the recipes then when he was done making the batter he'd hand over the bowl to me to dish out in the cupcake tins.  We repeated this process for times in just over two hours.  At the party he was appalled that people didn't believe him when he said that he did the baking.  I made sure everyone knew how much work he did.  Even though he was not impressed with doing the work, he was pretty proud of himself.  As he should be.  He'd like to go back to his normal job of buyer and delivery boy though. :) 


For the cake on top I did a 2 layer 6" chocolate cake with mocha filling for Bob & Peggy to take home and enjoy.

Also, a big thanks to my parents who helped out during the party.  They worked behind the scene a lot of the time making sure the food and drinks were in order.  They also brought in all the food from Krumbs.  As Mr. T put it "Your parents are machines when it comes to parties, they know how to keep them running!"  Yes, they do.  

Happy Anniversary!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Little Pony Pull Apart Cupcake Cake

For this "cake" I made two dozen vanilla cupcakes and arranged them on the cake board in the shape of the rainbow and clouds.  To make sure the cupcakes didn't move I added a dab of icing on the bottom of each cupcake. It's not that often that I get to dye icing, or six different colours at once.  You can get a really good bicep workout, Miss E was kind enough to lend her figurines as models for the picture.  The clouds piped out perfectly.  The rainbow was a little more difficult.  Next time I would put a base coat on the cupcakes to help keep the top coat more level and easier to pipe over.

Carrot Cake for July Birthdays

To celebrate my dad and brother's birthdays this year we went up to my parents' trailer to have a campfire dinner; hotdogs over the fire with a side of corn on the cob.  So good! To finish off the celebration I made one of the family favourites, carrot cake with cream cheese icing.    This was a 3 layer six inch cake with lots of cream cheese icing.  Hopefully, it was enough for Geoff this time.  

60th Jack Daniels Birthday Cake

 These types of cakes are so much fun to do.  Over the top goodness!  Especially, when the original plan  was to use airplane size bottles of Jack Daniel's instead of one 300mL bottle.  When Mr T went to the LCBO he was told that they longer sell them, at least as this location, due to high theft.  The next smallest size available was the 300mL bottle; though I doubt the birthday boy was disappointed! This was a 3 layer chocolate 8" cake with Bailey's buttercream topped off with Hershey pieces, mini chocolate chip cookies, Ferrero Rocher and Whoppers sitting on top of the chocolate ganache.