Skip to main content

Electric Guitar for Steve's 40th Birthday

1976 was an awesome year!  I know lots of people hitting the big one this year; myself and Mr. T included.  Doing a 40th birthday cake for anyone this year will be extra special.  


For the electric guitar I was sent a picture of Steve's guitar to emulate.  Everything was edible except the guitar strings.  There was no way I was going to try and figure out how to put fondant on straight thin enough to pass as string.  Instead I just used silver paper.


This was a 2 layer 9 x 13 red velvet cake.  Putting this one together was rather stressful!  I made the guitar and the lettering in advance.  I dusted the lettering with some gold dust to give it an ombre effect.  When I went to grab my new container of black fondant I opened it up and it was really hard.  I tried to kneed it to soften it up but it was filled with lumpy dried up bits.  Thankfully, I had plently of white fondant but did not relish the idea of having to dye it black.  


Dying the fondant set me back about half an hour.  My hands were covered and the top of my deep freezer looked like it had been in a fight and lost it was black and blue.  This is why I buy predyed black fondant!!

While decorating the cake, I got a wet spot to the left of the guitar that one of the 40 stars would not cover.  I created a shadow up the side of the guitar to cover to embrace it and it ended up looking really good.

Now on to the next cake.  So glad I kept to my resolve to not bake for January!  Ha!

NOTE:  I was able to get a refund for the fondant and a 5% discount on my next order from Flour Confections which I was pleasantly surprised at.  The store is fantastic and has an amazing selection with good prices.  This is the first time I've ever had an issue with anything I've bought. Amazing customer service for sure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Little Pony Pull Apart Cupcake Cake

For this "cake" I made two dozen vanilla cupcakes and arranged them on the cake board in the shape of the rainbow and clouds.  To make sure the cupcakes didn't move I added a dab of icing on the bottom of each cupcake. It's not that often that I get to dye icing, or six different colours at once.  You can get a really good bicep workout, Miss E was kind enough to lend her figurines as models for the picture.  The clouds piped out perfectly.  The rainbow was a little more difficult.  Next time I would put a base coat on the cupcakes to help keep the top coat more level and easier to pipe over.

Carrot Cake for July Birthdays

To celebrate my dad and brother's birthdays this year we went up to my parents' trailer to have a campfire dinner; hotdogs over the fire with a side of corn on the cob.  So good! To finish off the celebration I made one of the family favourites, carrot cake with cream cheese icing.    This was a 3 layer six inch cake with lots of cream cheese icing.  Hopefully, it was enough for Geoff this time.  

60th Jack Daniels Birthday Cake

 These types of cakes are so much fun to do.  Over the top goodness!  Especially, when the original plan  was to use airplane size bottles of Jack Daniel's instead of one 300mL bottle.  When Mr T went to the LCBO he was told that they longer sell them, at least as this location, due to high theft.  The next smallest size available was the 300mL bottle; though I doubt the birthday boy was disappointed! This was a 3 layer chocolate 8" cake with Bailey's buttercream topped off with Hershey pieces, mini chocolate chip cookies, Ferrero Rocher and Whoppers sitting on top of the chocolate ganache.