Skip to main content

Surprise 60th Birthday Party Cake

It's my 100th post!  Woot!

I was very excited to make this cake for Pat's 60th birthday party.  I think her daughter booked me before Christmas.  So, I had lots of time to plan.  You'd think that would work in my favour.  The cake was to be a two tiered cake.  The bottom was a giraffe print, the top red with shoes and bow on top.  The flavour was to be strawberry.  I nudged Meghan to go with a chocolate cake on the bottom and salted caramel icing.

This is a fairly long post, so, I won't force you to read or scroll through before getting to the pictures.





Fast forward to Thursday night, while finishing the Spotted Turtle Cake I baked the cakes. I was so proud of myself for being organised.  Friday evening before heading out to wine night I was all set to make the loops for the bow as they needed to dry over night.  I was so sure that I had an unopened 4lb tub of black fondant but after searching for twenty minutes I gave up.  We do not have a Bulk Barn close by to us.  The two closest ones are in malls and take forever to park and then get to.  Of course the first one I went to didn't have black fondant.  I was not impressed.  Off I went to another Bulk Barn, I wasn't trying the other mall location, I went even further out of my way to wine night to go to one that I could park right in front of the entrance.  Fortunately, I was able to nip in and out quickly.  All the way home from wine night I debated with myself on whether or not to make the loops before going to bed or in the morning.  I was good and made them before going to bed.

Saturday morning, I got up early, partially thanks to Miss E, all ready to decorate.  I went to double check to see if I needed to add any writing to the cake.  That's when I realised that I didn't make the right flavour for the top tier.  I had make cookies and cream, not strawberry.  Fantastic!  Quickly made the strawberry cake, then cut out all the silhouettes of the shoes.  These were the same ones from the If the Shoe Fits Cake but smaller.  Put together the bow.  Yay!  It worked out beautifully. Then tackled the giraffe print tier.  Printed off a giraffe pattern from online and went to town.

While I was making the cake, we were also getting ready to go to a funeral for Mr. T's friend's grandmother.  The funeral was taking place in roughly the same neighbourhood where Meghan is.  So, I offered to deliver it to her rather having her come on the subway.  At 1pm I realised the cake was not going to be ready in time.  This was about the time that I was covering the top tier in red.  It did not cover well.  It split all around the top.  I figured it needed a time out in the fridge while we went out.

We arrived at the funeral parlor with 5 minutes to spare.  One of the directors came up to us and said that they actually had the service an hour ago!  OMG!  Fortunately, everyone was still there and we were able to visit.  But geesh!  We left Miss E with Mr T's parents while we raced back up to our place.  Me to finish the cake and Mr T to get out of his suit.  A 15 minute trip took 30 minutes.  The DVP was nuts.

I got the top tier done.  I covered all the splits with the shoes and some creative scrolling with black royal icing and some dragees.  Packed it up in two boxes and off we went back on to the parking lot known as the DVP.

That's what I get for being organised!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Little Pony Pull Apart Cupcake Cake

For this "cake" I made two dozen vanilla cupcakes and arranged them on the cake board in the shape of the rainbow and clouds.  To make sure the cupcakes didn't move I added a dab of icing on the bottom of each cupcake. It's not that often that I get to dye icing, or six different colours at once.  You can get a really good bicep workout, Miss E was kind enough to lend her figurines as models for the picture.  The clouds piped out perfectly.  The rainbow was a little more difficult.  Next time I would put a base coat on the cupcakes to help keep the top coat more level and easier to pipe over.

Carrot Cake for July Birthdays

To celebrate my dad and brother's birthdays this year we went up to my parents' trailer to have a campfire dinner; hotdogs over the fire with a side of corn on the cob.  So good! To finish off the celebration I made one of the family favourites, carrot cake with cream cheese icing.    This was a 3 layer six inch cake with lots of cream cheese icing.  Hopefully, it was enough for Geoff this time.  

60th Jack Daniels Birthday Cake

 These types of cakes are so much fun to do.  Over the top goodness!  Especially, when the original plan  was to use airplane size bottles of Jack Daniel's instead of one 300mL bottle.  When Mr T went to the LCBO he was told that they longer sell them, at least as this location, due to high theft.  The next smallest size available was the 300mL bottle; though I doubt the birthday boy was disappointed! This was a 3 layer chocolate 8" cake with Bailey's buttercream topped off with Hershey pieces, mini chocolate chip cookies, Ferrero Rocher and Whoppers sitting on top of the chocolate ganache.