Skip to main content

Mickey Mouse is in the House

My friends really like to push me out of my comfort zone and I am really glad I tried this one, mostly because it worked out, surprisingly.  Albena asked me to make a cake for her nephew's birthday.  She sent me a picture of what she wanted.  I was not very enthused to make Mickey Mouse ears simply because I had no idea how to go about it.


I went into the Bulk Barn on Thursday to buy some cake boards and boxes and remembered the Wilton Sports Ball Pan Set.  It would work perfectly to make Mickey's head.  That was half the problem solved.  Now, the ears.  I just bit the bullet cut out four 3" circles and sandwiched two toothpicks between each pair and left them to dry out over night.  I did trim a bit off the bottom first so that when I stuck the ears in there wouldn't be a gap.

Both Mickey's head and the bottom tier are cookies and cream.  I used one half of the pan set which is roughly the same size as a 6" cake.  I love shape pan but it's quite deep and took a LONG time to bake.  I warned Albena that it was probably super dry.  The cake itself is 8".

It was so humid today and it is really annoying to work with fondant.  As soon as you bring a cake out of the fridge it sweats.  However, I love how it makes Mickey super shiny.  The crazy thing is when you put it back in the fridge it loses the shine after a few minutes.

Mickey's face is mostly done with black edible marker.

Comments

  1. Ears, head, taste - it was more than I imagined. Like I already told you: You, my friend, have golden hands! I am also glad I pushed you out of your comfort zone. Victor is even happier than his aunt - especially with all the little balls. I think he ate about 10 of them. The sugar rush that followed was just wonderful.
    Again, thank you so much! It looks even better than the one in the pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Shower Cake

One of the teams on my floor had me make a cake for one of their co-workers going on off on mat leave earlier this month.  She doesn't know the sex of the baby so I made it as neutral as possible.  This was an 8" two layer chocolate cake.  I just used some circle cutters to make the polka dots and the lettering.


The unofficial shot of the cake I caught Willow trying to get at the cake. She got pretty close before I shooed her away.

Owl in Tree for Lindsay

Shocking that inspiration for this cake came from Pinterest which in turn came from the blog the Bitten Word which in turn came from the November 2011 issue of Martha Stewart Living.  I'm sure that in the baking world you could play Six Degrees of Martha Stewart no problem.  One day I might actually make this cake, but the only part of this recipe I used was the caramel, and it was only half the recipe. I used the Perfect Chocolate Cake recipe for the cake.  You really can't go wrong with this recipe and I have no desire to deviate.


This is part II of Lindsay's birthday celebration.  She is an amazing friend, well, the best friend a girl could ask for, so naturally she deserves the best cake.  I knew that chocolate and caramel would be a winning combination for her.  Then for the decorating I didn't want to cover it in fondant as I still think covering this icing is a crime against nature!  On the other hand I find decorating chocolate a challenge.  Fortunately I found…

Superhero Cake for Keaton

Keaton's request this year was for a superhero cake.  I am so glad I bought the superhero cutters from Etsy.  They have been a great investment.  They save me so much time for decorating.


This was a two layer 10" chocolate layer cake with chocolate filling.  To cover seems between the different colours for the background I added the black stripes and some stars.  Orange is Keaton's favourite colour, so I couldn't leave it out and added it in with the sentiment.

Putting the cake together took a little longer than I expected, so we were a half an hour late to the party.  I had the best intentions to be on time for a change.  Oh well!