Skip to main content

Meghan & Jeff's Wedding Cake

The first time I met Meghan was at my surprise 16th birthday party.  She was 8 years old, the daughter of my uncle's new girlfriend.  Sadly, they parted ways eight years later.  During that time Meghan and I spent lots of time together.  She would sleep over in my room at residence and my apartment.  Fond memories of Boxing Day sleep overs! It is hard to believe that more than 20 years later (yeah, 20 years!) from my birthday party Meghan got married.

I was very touched when Meghan asked me to do her wedding cake.  She sent me a picture of the cake she was interested in having.  I scoured the web for ideas on how to do it.  Fortunately, I was able to find this fantastic step by step Birch bark tree tutorial and went from there.

Last month Meghan and a friend, who is also a bride to be, came over for cake tasting to decide on the flavours.  Meghan decided on lemon and lemon cream cheese icing.  My fridge smelled heavenly yesterday!


Thursday evening after coming home from a very relaxing three day retreat Younique Country Retreat with my friends I went right to work on baking a 2 layer 10", 8" and 6" lemon cake.  I also made the cake for Desmond and dozen cupcakes.  Friday after work I finished up Desmond's cake then got to work on Meghan's.

I started with the ivory disk on the top of each layer, then rolled out the brown fondant and trimmed it.  Let me let you, it was a royal pain to put this on!  Next time I will cover each tier in brown first then the disk over top.  The fondant kept stretching and peeling off while I was trying to get it on.  I was so frustrated.  I am very glad that I didn't add the markings beforehand as it tutorial instructed.

For the markings, or "snakes" as they are referred to I started with the top layer first.  I made them way too thick and after I was finished with all layers, I did this one over again. Once all the 3D decorations were added I went over each tier with white edible food colouring and a dry brush.  It was super easy.  Then with a paint brush and brown dye I outlined everything.  For the heart carving, I originally did a T instead of a J.  Grrr!!!  Thankfully, I caught my mistake.  Sometimes I follow a tutorial too well.  The initials were T & K. Oh well, I was able to fix it.

The 10" layer is on a thick 10" board, I then added straws and cut them to the height of the cake so it would be able to hold the weight of the other tiers.  This is so much easier than using wooden dowels, but just as effective.  The 8" and 6" tiers are on thin boards, but could be seen when I assembled the cake. So, I coloured he edges dark brown with edible marker.

Mr. T and took the cake to the reception in pieces and I assembled it there.  I put some icing between each layer as glue to make sure nothing slipped.  The silk flowers are from her florist.  She had done up the three bundles.  The original topper was beautiful but overpowering on the top, so I set it to the bottom left of the cake.  The side flowers I used a couple of push pins to ensure they stayed on and for the top some icing.  I set the whole cake on the wooden stand I had.  The reception hall had a walk in fridge; heaven!  I put the cake in there and we were off.

We had to get home to get ready for another wedding for Mr. T's cousin in Parry Sound.  Fortunately, all we had to do was show up.  No cake to drive up.

Congratulations Meghan and Jeff!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Little Pony Pull Apart Cupcake Cake

For this "cake" I made two dozen vanilla cupcakes and arranged them on the cake board in the shape of the rainbow and clouds.  To make sure the cupcakes didn't move I added a dab of icing on the bottom of each cupcake. It's not that often that I get to dye icing, or six different colours at once.  You can get a really good bicep workout, Miss E was kind enough to lend her figurines as models for the picture.  The clouds piped out perfectly.  The rainbow was a little more difficult.  Next time I would put a base coat on the cupcakes to help keep the top coat more level and easier to pipe over.

Carrot Cake for July Birthdays

To celebrate my dad and brother's birthdays this year we went up to my parents' trailer to have a campfire dinner; hotdogs over the fire with a side of corn on the cob.  So good! To finish off the celebration I made one of the family favourites, carrot cake with cream cheese icing.    This was a 3 layer six inch cake with lots of cream cheese icing.  Hopefully, it was enough for Geoff this time.  

60th Jack Daniels Birthday Cake

 These types of cakes are so much fun to do.  Over the top goodness!  Especially, when the original plan  was to use airplane size bottles of Jack Daniel's instead of one 300mL bottle.  When Mr T went to the LCBO he was told that they longer sell them, at least as this location, due to high theft.  The next smallest size available was the 300mL bottle; though I doubt the birthday boy was disappointed! This was a 3 layer chocolate 8" cake with Bailey's buttercream topped off with Hershey pieces, mini chocolate chip cookies, Ferrero Rocher and Whoppers sitting on top of the chocolate ganache.