Skip to main content

Tardis Cake

A while back Tracy asked me to do a cake for her husband Sam's 40th birthday.  She specially requested a Tardis cake.  Never heard of Tardis before, ever!  I've never seen an episode of Doctor Who before, so it would explain my poor education on the show.  All I had to do was Google "Tardis Cake" and a plethora of pictures and links popped up.

Fast forward to three days ago, I started really looking to see how I was going to create this cake.  Fortunately for Pinterest I was able to find this FANTASTIC Tardis Cake Tutorial and I was set.  

Amazingly, I read through the whole tutorial far in enough in advance that I had time to do the base of the cake.  I used a 12" thick white board from Flour Confections and followed the instructions in the tutorial.  This took me 15 minutes to do on Thursday night.  I was super excited with the results.  I put it away from the wandering paws of the cats dry for two days.  This was my first time painting on fondant and it is super easy.  I can't wait to paint on another cake soon.


For the cake itself I made a recipe and a half of the Perfect Chocolate Cake to divide into six square 6" layers.  A little time consuming when you only have two 6" pans which is why I am so glad I baked on Thursday night instead of procrastinating to Friday evening!  I put the six layers on a cooling rack in the fridge over night to get really firm.


For the icing I made a combination of the PCC chocolate icing and butter cream.  Then I set about assembling the cake.  Basically, I made three sandwiches of cake, icing and cake.  With the first two layers together, I put a thin layer of icing on top then insert five straws through the cake and trimmed them at the same height of the cake.  On top of that I place a 6" square thin board with the corners rounded off.  Next, I repeated the same steps for second "sandwich".  Once all three sandwiches were stacked I covered the cake in icing and kept it as straight as possible.  You can see the line of each board faintly in the picture to give you an idea of how it is divided.  

I could have stacked three layers then put in the support straws with a board and the remaining three layers on top. But the cake needed to server 50-55 people.  This way, at serving time the cake could be dismantled into three 6" two layer cakes which would yield 54 1" x 2" servings.


I loosely followed the tutorial from this point to decorate the cake.  I rolled out and trimmed the four sides and top, then cut out four 1.5" x 10" strips to cover the corners.  For the windows and panels, I did not at a second layer of fondant as in the tutorial (tutorial actually used modeling chocolate).  Instead I used a 1.25" square cookie cutter to press into the fondant.  I did use black dye to paint the windows.  For the window p I cut out eight squares in whote then took the next cutter down in size to cut out the frame. Next, I cut out three strips for each window.  The black was still wet so the white easily stuck on.  

In the tutorial there is a link for the decals that I added.  Mine were not printed on edible paper, but can be peeled off.  For the light on top I found that idea from another picture I found on Pinterest.  

The cake took about 4 hours to decorate this morning at a very leisurely pace.  Mr. T got to sleep in since Miss E is visiting her grandparents. 

I enjoyed making this cake and I might even sit down and watch a few episodes of Dr. Who to see what this Tardis is all about! 

Happy Birthday Sam!  Hope you have a great day celebrating and enjoy eating the cake.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Little Pony Pull Apart Cupcake Cake

For this "cake" I made two dozen vanilla cupcakes and arranged them on the cake board in the shape of the rainbow and clouds.  To make sure the cupcakes didn't move I added a dab of icing on the bottom of each cupcake. It's not that often that I get to dye icing, or six different colours at once.  You can get a really good bicep workout, Miss E was kind enough to lend her figurines as models for the picture.  The clouds piped out perfectly.  The rainbow was a little more difficult.  Next time I would put a base coat on the cupcakes to help keep the top coat more level and easier to pipe over.

Carrot Cake for July Birthdays

To celebrate my dad and brother's birthdays this year we went up to my parents' trailer to have a campfire dinner; hotdogs over the fire with a side of corn on the cob.  So good! To finish off the celebration I made one of the family favourites, carrot cake with cream cheese icing.    This was a 3 layer six inch cake with lots of cream cheese icing.  Hopefully, it was enough for Geoff this time.  

60th Jack Daniels Birthday Cake

 These types of cakes are so much fun to do.  Over the top goodness!  Especially, when the original plan  was to use airplane size bottles of Jack Daniel's instead of one 300mL bottle.  When Mr T went to the LCBO he was told that they longer sell them, at least as this location, due to high theft.  The next smallest size available was the 300mL bottle; though I doubt the birthday boy was disappointed! This was a 3 layer chocolate 8" cake with Bailey's buttercream topped off with Hershey pieces, mini chocolate chip cookies, Ferrero Rocher and Whoppers sitting on top of the chocolate ganache.