Skip to main content

Ben & Rachel's Wedding Cakes

A couple of weeks ago friends of ours got married and our wedding gift was the cake, or cakes rather.  The wedding had a games theme so each cake represented a game.

Fortunately the wedding was on a Sunday and I had all day Saturday to decorate.  Mr. T kept me company watching a marathon of Night Court on Comedy Gold while I decorated into the wee hours of the morning.  I was actually done by 2 am, which I thought was pretty good!

Cake #1: Puzzle Cake


Ben and Rachel provided their cake topper for this one.  I loved it.  All cakes were 2 tiered, 8 inch square.  This one was chocolate with chocolate fudge filling.  Originally I was doing a rope of black fondant around the base but it was turning out as I wanted.  Instead I opted to used a 1/2 inch ribbon around each base.

Cake #2: Scrabble Cake


Ben is an avid Scrabble player.  Years ago I attended an evening at the club where Ben played thinking I was a decent player.  Recreational Scrabble is extremely different from competitive.  My first game, my opponent scored over 50 points with one letter down.  I was way out of my league.

This cake was carrot with cream cheese filling.

Cake #3: Pong


The score on the board is the wedding date.  Even though Mr T pointed out that the score didn't go that high.  We both have issues with accuracy and artistic liberties. This cake was cookies and cream with butter cream filling.

Cake #4: Candy Crush


Target sells the Candy Crush candies in gummy form which was an amazing find that was a huge time saver.  The bombs are actually chocolate waffers covered in sprinkles.  It made decorating the cake go much more quickly than I thought it would.  The target score represents the year.  Ben was impressed that the board is showing all valid placements of the candies.

This cake was vanilla with multicoloured sprinkles throughout and butter cream filling.

Cake #5: Monopoly


I saved this cake for last as I wasn't quite sure on what I was going to do.  I finally settled on the section of the board.  This is probably my favourite cake.  I added the fondant dice.  The numbers on top were chosen based on which ones turned out the best.

This cake was lemon with lemon cream cheese filling.

The cakes all ready to go.  My job was done.  Phew!  The bases I made using 6 inch sytrofoam cake dummies covered in white ribbon.


Lastly, a shot of Ben & Rachel cutting the cake.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Little Pony Pull Apart Cupcake Cake

For this "cake" I made two dozen vanilla cupcakes and arranged them on the cake board in the shape of the rainbow and clouds.  To make sure the cupcakes didn't move I added a dab of icing on the bottom of each cupcake. It's not that often that I get to dye icing, or six different colours at once.  You can get a really good bicep workout, Miss E was kind enough to lend her figurines as models for the picture.  The clouds piped out perfectly.  The rainbow was a little more difficult.  Next time I would put a base coat on the cupcakes to help keep the top coat more level and easier to pipe over.

Carrot Cake for July Birthdays

To celebrate my dad and brother's birthdays this year we went up to my parents' trailer to have a campfire dinner; hotdogs over the fire with a side of corn on the cob.  So good! To finish off the celebration I made one of the family favourites, carrot cake with cream cheese icing.    This was a 3 layer six inch cake with lots of cream cheese icing.  Hopefully, it was enough for Geoff this time.  

60th Jack Daniels Birthday Cake

 These types of cakes are so much fun to do.  Over the top goodness!  Especially, when the original plan  was to use airplane size bottles of Jack Daniel's instead of one 300mL bottle.  When Mr T went to the LCBO he was told that they longer sell them, at least as this location, due to high theft.  The next smallest size available was the 300mL bottle; though I doubt the birthday boy was disappointed! This was a 3 layer chocolate 8" cake with Bailey's buttercream topped off with Hershey pieces, mini chocolate chip cookies, Ferrero Rocher and Whoppers sitting on top of the chocolate ganache.