Skip to main content

Pink Roses and Pink Cake Pops for Sofie's Baptism

I was asked to make the cake for Sofie's baptism several months ago and at the same time I was asked if I do cake pops.  I've stayed away from them up until now.  I figured that they were a lot of work and not worth the effort.  However, I was willing to take a go a it with the understanding that this was my first time attempting to make them.

I found this blog posting through Pinterest that was very informative.  If I can find the link to it again, I will add it.  She had definitely done her research which saved me a lot of time and energy.  I even went to Target (and here in Toronto they are horrible) and was quite surprised that they actually had the pans I was looking for.  Score one for Target; a first!  I was off to a good start.  I followed her instructions exactly.

First lesson in making cake pops, don't use cooking spray to grease the pans. I should have used Crisco or Wilton's cake release.  They were really hard to get out of the pan and some got misshaped a little.  Also, the pops had lots of crumbs caused by not using Crisco, and they were every where in the melted chocolate.

Second lesson, when filling the pans you want to make sure the batter is almost over flowing.  This way you will it puff up into the top pan to form a perfect sphere.  It's quite obvious which ones were not.

Third lesson, while I refrigerated them over night I should have frozen them once I put the stick in.  This would have made it so much easier for dipping.  Would have definitely helped with the crumb situation.

Fourth lesson, have something prepared to put the pops in to harden ready to go.  I chose to use styrofoam, but it wasn't always easy to set in without force causing the pop to knock into the next one.  Grr!  It probably would have made for a smoother finish too!

Fourth lesson, don't dip the pop into the sprinkles, sprinkle on top while they are drying.  The effect looks much nicer.


See the two pops at bottom front?  The one on the right, that's how they should have all turned out.  That's how I envisioned it.  The bumpy one on the left, that's the reality. :)  I added some pink ribbon to each one for some decoration and stuck them in the styrofoam rounds.

I really hope that they were good.  They were a pain to make, but in the end I was glad I tried it.  I don't think I will be doing them again anytime soon.  Miss E fell in love with them and was dying to try one so I did promise I would make some for her birthday.

Moving along to the cake, which was definitely back in my comfort zone.  This was a 10" two layer chocolate cake with salted caramel filling.  The sides were done in butter cream and the top as well for the pink roses.  I added Sofie with my new font that looks like Candy Crush font; LOVE IT!


Mr T, Miss E and took a drive down to the Scarborough Bluffs to deliver everything to Bluffers Restaurant.  I had no idea there was a restaurant there.


Thank you to Mr. T for your help even though it was Father's Day!

Comments

  1. Hi blue funk,
    A friend gave me your details... I am interested in in ordering a smash cake for April 1st. Sorry, did not see a contact page.

    Thank you
    Martha

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Little Pony Pull Apart Cupcake Cake

For this "cake" I made two dozen vanilla cupcakes and arranged them on the cake board in the shape of the rainbow and clouds.  To make sure the cupcakes didn't move I added a dab of icing on the bottom of each cupcake. It's not that often that I get to dye icing, or six different colours at once.  You can get a really good bicep workout, Miss E was kind enough to lend her figurines as models for the picture.  The clouds piped out perfectly.  The rainbow was a little more difficult.  Next time I would put a base coat on the cupcakes to help keep the top coat more level and easier to pipe over.

Carrot Cake for July Birthdays

To celebrate my dad and brother's birthdays this year we went up to my parents' trailer to have a campfire dinner; hotdogs over the fire with a side of corn on the cob.  So good! To finish off the celebration I made one of the family favourites, carrot cake with cream cheese icing.    This was a 3 layer six inch cake with lots of cream cheese icing.  Hopefully, it was enough for Geoff this time.  

60th Jack Daniels Birthday Cake

 These types of cakes are so much fun to do.  Over the top goodness!  Especially, when the original plan  was to use airplane size bottles of Jack Daniel's instead of one 300mL bottle.  When Mr T went to the LCBO he was told that they longer sell them, at least as this location, due to high theft.  The next smallest size available was the 300mL bottle; though I doubt the birthday boy was disappointed! This was a 3 layer chocolate 8" cake with Bailey's buttercream topped off with Hershey pieces, mini chocolate chip cookies, Ferrero Rocher and Whoppers sitting on top of the chocolate ganache.