Skip to main content

Ribbon Cake - Debbie's Retirement

Last week, well almost two weeks ago, I got a panicked text message asking me if I had time to make a retirement cake, in the midst of my 18 dozen cupcakes.  Why not?  

Originally I was going to to roses as per Hibah's (panicked texter) request, but the retiring teacher's favourite colour is green.  Green roses just seemed odd.  So I took the opportunity to try my hand at the ribbon technique.


I LOVE IT!!!  I would do this again in a heartbeat.  It's remarkably easy.  Well, thanks to the YouTube tutorial.  It worked so well.  This was a 2 layer 10" chocolate cake with chocolate ganache filling.  It takes a lot of icing but it I love the look of it.


I added a big white flower.  I've made this type before but this time I did one large, two medium, and one small layer.  It made the flower much fuller.  I really liked this one. 


The final result.  The cake was weighed a ton with all the extra icing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Little Pony Pull Apart Cupcake Cake

For this "cake" I made two dozen vanilla cupcakes and arranged them on the cake board in the shape of the rainbow and clouds.  To make sure the cupcakes didn't move I added a dab of icing on the bottom of each cupcake. It's not that often that I get to dye icing, or six different colours at once.  You can get a really good bicep workout, Miss E was kind enough to lend her figurines as models for the picture.  The clouds piped out perfectly.  The rainbow was a little more difficult.  Next time I would put a base coat on the cupcakes to help keep the top coat more level and easier to pipe over.

Carrot Cake for July Birthdays

To celebrate my dad and brother's birthdays this year we went up to my parents' trailer to have a campfire dinner; hotdogs over the fire with a side of corn on the cob.  So good! To finish off the celebration I made one of the family favourites, carrot cake with cream cheese icing.    This was a 3 layer six inch cake with lots of cream cheese icing.  Hopefully, it was enough for Geoff this time.  

60th Jack Daniels Birthday Cake

 These types of cakes are so much fun to do.  Over the top goodness!  Especially, when the original plan  was to use airplane size bottles of Jack Daniel's instead of one 300mL bottle.  When Mr T went to the LCBO he was told that they longer sell them, at least as this location, due to high theft.  The next smallest size available was the 300mL bottle; though I doubt the birthday boy was disappointed! This was a 3 layer chocolate 8" cake with Bailey's buttercream topped off with Hershey pieces, mini chocolate chip cookies, Ferrero Rocher and Whoppers sitting on top of the chocolate ganache.